Support This Site

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Memories are made of this.

Friday was time for our obligatory trip to Coventry to visit my Nan and Grandad.

It gets a little boring in the afternoon for the children as Nan was pottering in the kitchen and Grandad was trying to have a nap so I took them out for a wonder round my old stomping ground.
Obviously as I haven't lived there since I was 10 years old, lots of things have changed.

First of all we went to visit the old flats where I lived with my parents and my sister. It was a weird old setup for a flat. You went in the front door and immediately in front of you was the bathroom with the kitchen next door. Then you went down the stairs to the lounge and bedrooms. I remember that there was a large space under the stairs where we would put a zbed if anyone came to stay.


I also wanted to take them to see my old infant/junior school so we walked up through the gitty and round past the 11 storey flats. So called, of course, because they have 11 - Count them...11 storeys.

I remember I was always jealous of the people who lived there cos they got to go in the lift where as we didn't have a lift and had to walk up the 7 flights of stairs to our flat.

I was really disappointed when we reached the school as it is all fenced up like a prison. 7 foot security fences topped with spikes and painted with anti-climb paint. We couldn't get anywhere near. I felt very sad...It wasn't like that when I was there and it was a blight on the area.

We had a good old wander around the neighbourhood before taking the long way round back to Nan's house. By then she was getting tea ready and we had worked up quite an appetite.

We left their house about 6.15 and yes the journey back was the same old nightmare that it always is when we go down to Cov. The train was 1 hour late and there were no seats so we had to stand most of the way back but it was the straight through train so at least we didn't have all the palava of changing at BNS.

Stumble UponStumble it!

No comments: