Support This Site

Monday, January 08, 2007

Going out meeting new people and doing the pub quiz.

Part of my New year - New start regime tonight was a night out with fellow Rams fans from the Ramsnet email list.
A special meal as a couple from Germany were over here to celebrate their mum's 93rd birthday. I was terribly nervous as it has been a long time since I went out to meet a load of people I have never seen before. Luckily I was getting a lift to the pub so at least I wouldn't have to walk in by myself.

I was picked up promptly at 7.50pm and the car journey was very pleasant - lots of chat about the area where I live and about Derby in general.
When we arrived at the pub the birthday family were already there. They are a lovely bunch and I was at ease straight away so I felt like I just slotted right in. The pub was the Bonnie Prince which is a huge place with a big indoor kid playing area. I know Ange had been there loads of times but I have never been so yet a new place to experience.

This has to be the first time in a long while that I have been out for a meal without the family. As I looked through the menu I realised that as I was only paying for me on this occasion, I didn't have to think about the budget - then after looking through the menu some more I decided that although others were ordering big steaks and platters, I could only face a Jacket Potato. So I opted for Cajun chicken with Sour cream as the topping mainly because it was the only topping that I wouldn't normally have at home and I wanted something special as I was out for the evening.

As we were waiting for our food they announced the start of the quiz so we thought it would be a laugh to join in. This was, in hindsight, probably a bad idea as the quiz was drawn out right to 11 o'clock and everyone would have liked to have got home earlier on.
Just when you think you know a lot of stuff you realise that everything you know is no good for a pub quiz.
Well I was useless anyway.
First of all the picture question...You know the one where there are 10 pics of celebs and you have to name them. The easiest was probably Sarah Harding and I couldn't even get that. My whole mind went blank...I knew she was from some kind of singing group. 2 of us agonised for ages and ended up with Claire from Steps *Rollseyes* I did get Jeremy Beadle though.

It went downhill from there for me. I knew that Bring it all Back was a hit for S Club 7 and that Robbie supports Port Vale oh and that Superman is afraid of Kryptonite but I didn't know that Poets corner is in Westminster Abbey or that Sir Alf Ramsey was the first player to both captain and manage England.

We wiped out on the last round because we said the drink that had the kick was Babycham and it was in fact Pony. The team whose we were marking also got that wrong so at least that wasn't too bad.

Anyway we didn't win the £100 but I had a great night out and I am sure the first of many more to come. It was 11.15pm when I got home and the children were all tucked up in bed.

Stumble UponStumble it!

No comments: