Support This Site

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Hey Robbie Savage Haters

Yes I was one. Along with most of the Football fans in the country I hated him with a passion. When He signed for Derby I really thought the world had gone mad. When Ange and the kids came back from the games and were all talking about how wonderful he was I thought they too had gone mad. Was there some kind of Jedi Mind trick that Savage had used?

Over time though I could see what an asset for Derby he was becoming. The couple of times I saw him play live he was awful but I could see what an influence he was as a captain to the rest of the team. I still couldn't understand why everyone loved him so much. In interviews on TV and radio he was so arrogant but He stood up for Derby County.

The Whole time Savage played for DCFC he was 100% committed and did a lot of good things for the club as a whole. We certainly got a lot more airtime on main stream TV. He was a regular on Soccer AM and sometimes he made a bit of a dick of himself but you had to be happy cos he is Derby now.

He also did a lot of charity work. His Dad suffers from Alzheimers so he does a lot for them and all of the sales of his recent book went to them but he does a lot of hospital visits etc too.

I was still really happy when Savage announced his retirement.

However, all that said I suddenly found myself warming to Robbie Savage on Thursday night. He was another player who tried to sneak out. We had seen his boys inside going from one room to another and Id seen his wife too but suddenly Sav was trying to sneak out with his hoodie up. No one was fooled though and suddenly he had drawn a huge crowd. I think of all the top celebs, He drew the biggest crowd of all. However instead of just rushing off he signed autographs and had photos taken with everyone. Debz and me got a bit concerned as at one point he was at the edge of the doorway then he was pegged right back against the glass doors. Some of the singers from the Gospel choir tried to get out but they couldn't and went back in (They should have gone to the other entrance as no one was there anymore)

At the same time he was chatting away. People were trying to get him to reveal who his dance partner is (He is doing Strictly this year) but he wasn't giving anything away.

I have to admit I got a bit carried away and was caught up in the excitement of it all. Ange wasn't bothered about pushing into the crowd she said we should hang back and wait as he wouldn't go without making sure everyone was happy. It was like he was Brad Pitt or something All of these people adored him!

The crowd thinned out a little and Emma said to him that she loved his Pink shirt on the tv advert with the Ram on. Then He Said he had some pictures on his phone and proceeded to flick through his phone and show us these pics of him in a Blue shirt (The one from tonight's show) This is the point where I realised my opinion of him had changed. He had no problem with showing us the photos and joking about his tan and the whiteness of his teeth. As he thrust the phone in my face I noticed how Blue his eyes are.

Everyone got great photos with Savage - Taken by me of course they are! He wasn't bothered about how long it took me to compose or how long the flash took to work.

Dscf0003
Debz

Dscf0005
Ange

Dscf0004
The Kids (I was taking it from the side as Ange took it from the front)

Dscf0006
Emma.

So when everyone had got their piece off he went...

OK So I am not going to become the biggest Savage fan or declare my undying love for him but I did see a bit of what everyone else sees.

I was really interested in seeing him in Strictly tonight. I think this is going to do wonders for Robbie Savage as you are going to see a new side to him. He looked so nervous and vulnerable and he really didn't say much at all which is a change as you normally wouldn't shut him up.

 

 

So Haters join me ;) Forget the Robbie Savage Footballer alter ego and see the new Ex-footballer Media persona.

Posted via email from jembie's posterous

Stumble UponStumble it!

No comments: