Support This Site

Sunday, September 11, 2011

England Legends Vs Wales Legends (For the John Hartson trust)

Thursday night was the night of ITVs big annual charity Legends game. This year it was in aid of the John Hartson trust for Testicular Cancer. The other big bonus was it was to be played at Pride Park Stadium. Former Rams Captain Robbie Savage was coming back to PPS for one night only to captain the Wales team.

Luckily Joe and Abbie got given some free tickets from their football training at DW. So we didn't have to buy tickets. I am a bit worried though that as the club gave away so many free tickets, Just how much money did John Hartson make for his charity?

Debz and Carl picked me up about 6.30 and we drove to PPS supposedly early enough to get a place in the DW car park but there were queues as it was and there weren't actually any free spaces but Carl managed to find somewhere to park that wasn't actually a proper space but it wasn't impeding on any other spaces. When Ange & Rob and Emma and all the kids arrived Ange wanted to go eat. Id already had some tea so I just stood and waited while they scoffed. I am no good with Subway anyway I would go as far as saying I have a phobia - Im not phobic of the food but the actual ordering process. I had panic attacks the last time I tried to order a sandwich in there myself. When they finished eating we made our way over to the ground.

Img_2959
We were seated in the East stand upper parallel to Ange's normal seats.

Img_2983
There wasn't many people there. They were only using the East Stand. In the west stand were a few people but they would have been families mascots etc. Of course all the Exec boxes were full. As we were taking our seats there was a Gospel choir assembling to sing the national Anthems and then it wasn't long before the announcer announced the teams and they were coming out of the tunnel

The Gospel version of God save the queen was a bit unusual

DSCF9966.AVI Watch on Posterous
Our only problem was I am obviously in need of new glasses as I couldn't hardly make out who the players were and Debz had forgotten her glasses so she was no good. We also couldn't hear the announcements properly so that didn't help with who the players were. I could make out Sav obviously and Gary Speed also for Wales.

It was a good match. Very competitive and no one was going easy. Mind you as for taking it easy - Ian Wright proved that he certainly didn't have it anymore. Remember his great pace? Nuh! He could hardly run 5 yards without falling over exhausted. Where as Steve McManaman and Stan Collymore loked like they were still in there Spice boys heydays.

The Ref was Dermot Gallagher. He got some boos. And randomly the lino on our side was Colin Murray. Now, this wasn't announced and we didn't even notice - It was the guy sat behind. Much to my own surprise I actually Squeed a little and then got all excited. Thing is Colin was so busy doing his job that he never actually turned our way and as I was so excited this is the best photo I could get of him

Dscf9971
There were lots of changes during the game. John Hartson himself kicked off but then went off again. He came back on briefly when Wales were handed a penalty to take it but as I said no one was giving anything away and Dave Beasant in the England goal easily saved it. I think he could have let it in if he had wanted to and maybe he should have.

At half time Harry Redknapp came out to choose someone from the crowd to play in the second half. They chose 5 lads who had brought their boots but I am sure only one of them played. He was really good and for saying that he was playing with and against top celebs and legends He did himself proud.

There were 6 goals scored altogether. All for England. Which is great but I think that Wales should have at least had 1 goal. I am not sure exactly who scored the goals. I think it was 2 for Collymore, 2 for Seth Johnson, 1 for Ricky Whittle and 1 for Darren Campbell. I may be wrong though. I have yet to watch the TV coverage that I recorded to see what I missed :)

After the game Ange and the kids planned to go round to the players entrance. They went off quickly but as I am not able to climb down over the seats I got left behind. When I finally got out of the row, I had no idea where they were so I decided to just make my own way round to the players entrance. I then bumped into Rob and Carl outside the concourse and Ange rang me to ask where was I.

I made my way round to the Players' Entrance where there was already a hefty crowd waiting.

RANT ALERT!!!!!

The one thing that stopped me being an In Person Autograph collector is the Professional Autograph hunters - Traders! They have no consideration for the real fans and kids that really want to to meet their idols. They push and shove people out the way, kids, adults and old people alike. Then they shove their books in the faces of the stars whoever they are and then "Can you sign these 10 pictures" I just got so angry that I wanted to punch them or push them all over. This is why I no longer have the motivation to get in there anymore. Yeah there is a little bit of regret that I came home with nothing but I wasn't going to get pushed around and hurt for it.

RANT OVER!!!

There was a lot of waiting. We could see the stars inside. I spotted Jeff Brazier going upstairs and I spotted Savs boys several times. Then while we were all looking the other way, Steve McManaman sneaked out the main entrance but soon the crowd was all over him. Thanks to Beth for her persisitance Steve stopped with the crowd and they all got their stuff signed photos taken and Ange got a book signed for her boss.

Joe Calzaghe got mobbed to the proportion that he couldn't get into his car. Several of the welsh team walked past me without me even having a clue who they are. Then Jamie Baulch walked past me and it wasn't until 30 mins later I realised who he was. Then I felt bad. Gary Speed stayed true to his name as he tried to make a quick getaway. he did sign and do some pictures but I don't think he actually stopped walking once. I tried my hardest to get a picture of him...

Img_2978
Dave Beasant was very good but no one seemed interested - was it cos he is a former Red Dog?? (See later, I don't think so)

As I said, I didn't amke an attempt to get autographs or photos with the celebs but I was on hand to get photos for the others.

Colin Murray was lovely chatting and signing and having a laugh with people as well as having phots taken. Debz got him to sign her ticket and I took this lovely picture

Dscf9988
Dean Saunders made me go a bit weak at the knees. He has improved with age. I met him before - In 1989 in McDonalds where I worked but at the time he was with Mark Wright (The real one) and I was rather star-struck (Ooooh Mark Wright) Today though Dean Saunders is really a bit of alright (oo-er)

One star that caused a stir was Stan Collymore. This I don't get. He was booed on the pitch even though he was an England player and scored 2 games. He was also a Red dog  That should be enough to give him a wide berth but for some reason my sister loves him so we fought through the crowds and she persisted in poking him until he had his photo taken with her

Darren Campbell came out of the main entrance on the phone and refused to sign for anyone. Miserable git! Idris Elba came out with an entourage but no one bothered him - I guess they didn't know who he was. I didn't until I watched some of the ITV4 footage after. Now Ian Wright went down in my book cos he got his big massive car brought all the way up to the entrance so that he didn't have to deal with the fans BOOO! thats not good!

One thing I haven't mentioned was Being shafted and thinking my hero was there but he was a big fat Fake!! I was promised England and DCFC Legend Oooh Mark Wright but all I got was a wannabe from Essex. At least someone was happy

Dscf9989
I didn't get the chance to compose a proper photograph that Emma could treasure and use for FB because he was being dragged off by some Bimbo Bodyguard. I do have to admit it he was quite handsome and he did seem a little overwhelmed by all the attention - don't worry lad, You'll soon be wallowing in it.

We stayed until about 11pm. It was late enough and the kids all had school the next day. Ange had work and I had to be up for my course.

It was a great night out though. A great match and hopefully they made a lot of money for  John Hartson

(Please read part 2)

Posted via email from jembie's posterous

Stumble UponStumble it!

No comments: