Support This Site

Monday, July 02, 2007

Concert for Diana


Anyone who knows me really well, will know how I was a big fan of The Princess.
I remember the day Charles and Diana got married. It was my sister's first birthday. It was glorious weather. My mum was inside making Strawberry Jam and I was outside sat on the sun lounger with the portable telly watching the wedding whilst my little sis frolicked in the paddling pool.
I remember the day Diana died too. I got up on a Sunday morning with the children and put Nickelodeon on and there was nothing but news ticker reporting the death of our Princess. I immediately turned over to the news channels and stood gobsmacked as the story unfolded.
Of course I also sat and watched the whole funeral on the TV and sobbed my heart out. I think there was still a lot of emotion inside me though as it was only 3 years since my own mum had died. I saw those boys being so strong and knew what they were going through.

So when asked if I would be watching the concert I said that I would watch Take That and Duran Duran but would probably flick though the rest as the archive stuff and the interviews with the Princes would probably upset me too much.
Well I did indeed watch it from the very start, and as expected I was bawling within a half hour but I couldn't bring myself to change channels.

Duran Duran were Amazing! SLB has so still got it. I think I fancy him all over again.


They started with Sunrise and then dedicated Wild boys to the Princes. They finished the set with Rio as they had been asked.

I was amazed at how good Lily Allen was. She is only little and I wondered if she wouldn't lose it on the huge Wembley stage in front of 60,000+ but she really stepped up and was fantastic. She sang LDN and Smile.


There was many many great acts and some not so good. I did flick through Pharrell and Kanye and Nelly Furtado. There were also appearances by Anastacia and Fergie (Who mimed!!) Joss Stone and Natasha Bedingfield.

I was just waiting out time though for Take That.
I kept thinking maybe they weren't going to be on after all. On 2 occasions Theakston and Winkleman announced Take That. Both times they were wrong. It was Tom Jones and Rod Stewart respectively. In fact I almost missed TT as I had switched over to ITV for the final episode of Talk to me (With Max Beesley) Lukily though we flicked over in the ads and saw Take That perform Patience and Back for Good.



Unfortunately I missed Ricky Gervais though.

I did enjoy Any dream will do with the ultimate Josephs - Donny Osmond and Jason Donovan (Where was Phil??) and even though I didn't watch ADWD I thought the winner of that was good too. That gave me a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye.

There was a surprise appearance by Will Young..Well a surprise to me anyhow. He did a short interview with Cotton wearing a hideous pink shirt and then appeared onstage later to do just 1 song :(



I daresay that the whole thing will be out in a box set anytime soon so I will have to save my pennies up for that.

I have to mention how amazing the Princes were in the whole thing. It was brilliant to see them in the Royal box bopping away unashamedly. Although on 2 occasions Harry was refusing to sway and wave his arms, both times he gave in to the delight of the crowd.


There has been a lot of questions asked of the Royal family the last few years and they have suffered a lot of criticism but if these 2 young Princes William and Harry are the future of our monarchy then things are looking up. 1 of the most marvellous things that Diana ever did for this country was her 2 sons despite their father.

Stumble UponStumble it!

1 comment:

Yellowswan said...

I am 26 years old and my mom told me that she had me and the little girl that she was baby sitting up early in the morning the morning that Princess Di and Charles were married. I am in the States so that was like pre-dawn for us lol. She asks me if I remember that and I don't because I was only a baby. I do remember the night that Princess Diana died ... I was sitting on the couch with my mom and we were sitting on the couch and passed by CNN. I told her to turn it back and we saw the news from Paris that she had been in a crash. My little brother who was then 4 (now 14) asked us what was wrong and we told him that a lady was hurt and he said before he went to bed "I hope that lady is alright." - it was so sweet. When they announced that she died my heart just sank ... I remember being so sad for about 2 weeks. I watched the funeral and I felt the emotion from the people lined up on the streets. I will never forget the thousands of bouquets of flowers that were laid in front of Kensington Palace and Buckingham Palace ... I bawled with so much emotion that week for a person who I never even met.

I watched the Concert for Diana only for Duran Duran because I am a huge fan of theirs. And yes they still got it :) I am glad I found your blog. Cheers and take care :)