Support This Site

Friday, July 18, 2008

Monitoring monitors


I am sorry for my lack of updates recently. It is all down to my monitoring problem.

A while ago the power pack on my tft monitor gave up the ghost but luckily my sister had a spare one to lend me. It wasn't up to much though as it was an old compaq 14inch CRT monitor. The stand was dogdy and I never could get it to sit right so it dipped and that meant I couldn't work on it long without getting a stiff neck. It was better than nothing though and it meant I could get on the internet when needed and do the important stuff.

But then disaster struck when I was sat here working away and I could smell something like burning. I jumped up not knowing what it was. I sniffed the candle behind me but it wasn't that, so I investigated around the back of the monitor and sure enough there was smoke coming out the back. So I immediately unplugged it.

There we were left without a monitor. The computer was still on and we were unable to close it down.
I emptied my piggy bank in the hope that I might be able to nip to a local electronics shop and buy one second hand. Unfortunately there just wasn't enough so I was stuck.
You know what it is like to go 48 hours without being able to go on a computer at all? It is sure Hell. OK it was fine for Bill cos she has her own Laptop but for DS and me it was the longest 2 days of our life.

I gave my friend Dot a ring and asked her if she would put a wanted on Freecycle for a monitor for me. Within a couple of hours she got back to me and told me that her sis in law had 9 monitors going begging at her work.
By Friday lunchtime everything was right with the world again and Dot and her SIL brought me my new 17inch monitor.

Stumble UponStumble it!

No comments: