Support This Site

Friday, October 10, 2008

Jason Donovan - 10 good reasons

I am just back from the Westfield centre in town seeing Jason Donovan live.
I have to say I am not an ardent fan like some of the people there but he was AWESOME!!

I got to the stage area at just after 4pm and there were about 15 people already there. I saw someone I knew so I went and stood with her and her son right at the front of the stage.

It felt weird. I have been in this situation several times before with Alistair but it has been a while. I was always psyched up then but this time I was just there out of curiosity to see whether Jason Donovan still had that certain something that he used to have. He is in his 40s now and a lot of water has passed under that metaphorical bridge since then.

As we stood there my feet were hurting already I was very hot and sweaty. We were told that he was doing an interview with RAMFM first then he would be doing the Meet & Greet with the comp winners and he should be on at 6pm.

I could see Deano from RAMFM stood at the side of the stage and knew he would be coming on soon to introduce Jason onto the stage. I pointed him out to the people I was stood with and they got excited too.
The waiting was excruciating!
I took a couple of pictures to test my view and was impressed...



Little did I know that we would be disappointed as about 5 minutes before Jason came on, the competition winners came along and stood right in frint of us in the press run (Well I thought it was the Press run but it was actually there for the comp winners. How unfare! They have just spent the last half an hour with him and got autographs and photos with him yet now they get to be right in front of him when he performs.

Actually I shouldn't have worried as Jason Donovan is a man who likes to make sure no one is disappointed.

Finally at almost 6pm on the dot, Deano strolled onto the stage and had a little chat to warm up the crowd (They really didn't need warming up) He got fans to hold up banners and asked what songs they were hoping to hear. Then finally Mr Donovan came onstage. He actually took my breath away as he has aged very well although he is quite small and very very thin. I was about 5 feet away from him and that was quite scary (but in a good way)

I was surprised at what a huge set he did. He started off with a little acoustic set playing guitar and singing. He sang "Too many broken hearts" first which sounded great acousticly. Then he had a little chat about taking his kids to see HSM3 and meeting Zac and Vanessa and attempted to sing "Any Dream will do" only thing was he got a bit lost and started singing the same verse twice. He stopped and had a little conflab with Stellios then asked the crowd if he should start from the beginning or from where he left off. Of course everyone wanted him to start again.
It was a lovely experience, The whole audience were singing along doing the "Ahahah" bits

He also sang "Sealed with a kiss", "Be my baby" and his new single called "Dreamboats and petticoats"

He had another little chat and said farewell to Stellios. Then it got serious! He flung off his jacket and announced we were going to get techno as he was going to do some really old stuff.

With a backing track he then performed "Nothing can divide us", "Every day" and the upbeat version of "Too many broken hearts"

For a man in his 40s he definitely still has it! He was all over the stage and getting down with the crowd. He went along shaking hands with people in the first 2 rows - I encouraged the lady I was with to stick out her hand as I knew she would kick herself if she didn't and when he shook her hand she was all flushed but really happy. She must have felt like a teenager again as she certainly looked like it.

I was quite disappointed when it was all over but he had been on for an hour which was a lot more than I had expected. What a great free gig!! So glad I went now and I might even be a converted fan...

Stumble UponStumble it!

No comments: