Support This Site

Monday, March 30, 2009

Ladies what lunch

On Friday, my mate Lisa and I went out for a loverly lunch.
I met Lisa at mid day in town and we drove out to Ockbrook to the Bartlewood Lodge where they do a great Carvery meal for £3.50.

We arrived at around 1pm and it was already really busy but there is a gorgeous view from the pub grounds.


Lisa bought us drinks and paid for our carvery. You get a ticket and then you queue at the food counter.
The chef behind the counter gives you your pre-warmed plate with a Stuffing ball and a Yorkshire pudding and your choice of meat. You can choose any combination of Gammon, Turkey or Beef - Of which I had a slice of all 3. He didn't skimp on the slices either.
Then you help yourself to veggies. I had some Green beans and Peas with Carrots and a bit of Cauliflower cheese which believe it or not I have never tried before. I also had a couple of boiled potatoes and a couple of roast potatoes too.

Then there is a choice of sauces and Gravy. I don't do Horseradish or any other such grossness but I do do Gravy and lots of it.

This is the best meal I think I have ever had and for only £3.50. You could go there everyday for lunch and still be in the money.

We took time over eating while we chatted and discussed the awful weather. Well it was changeable. Whilst we sat there it was sunny with blue-skies and it also rained, Hailed and sleated (If that is the word)

When we were done, Lisa drove us back to her house where she left her car and we walked up into the village. If I had known it was such a long walk I would have suggested getting a taxi.

Our first port of call was the White Swan. It was a lovely pub in the centre of the village.

It was a real good local pub. The decor inside was nice and cosy and the barman and landlady were polite and friendly. There was a little drama over whether my tenner was a fake or not. The barman held it under the ultra violet for ages and couldn't find the special watermark but in the end the landlady stepped in and said that Yes it was real. Thank god for that as it was my last £10 note!

We sat and chatted and did our usual thing of putting the world to rights. When the barman spotted our glasses were empty he came over and asked if we wanted another so how can you refuse table service.
We stayed there for an hour or so and then Lisa suggested moving on to the Malt Shovel. I laughed and said "Oooh are we going to Emmerdale" She has never watched it so she had only ever heard of the Woolpack and had no idea that the Malt shovel is their rival pub.

It is really weird inside. It is tiny and has lots of little rooms coming off the main bar.
We went in this little room which was just like some one's front room.
I have to say the Malt shovel is definitely not like a TARDIS as it definitely looked bigger on the OUTSIDE.

We sat in our little room chatting and laughing and making plans for future outings.
I tried to take some photos of our little room but the pictures just don't get it across I think.

I had an absolutely wonderful day and as ever it went way too quickly. I waited at the bus stop for the flyer back into town and I was home again for 7.30pm.
Another great day out.

Stumble UponStumble it!

No comments: