Support This Site

Saturday, July 03, 2010

A trip down memory lane

Or in my case lack of memory lane.

When I was 18 I left home for the first time and moved into a flat in Ilkeston with my now long-term friend Brian. We were both working at the American Adventure at the time and we had quite a blast in those 6 months in that little flat.

Today I had to go on a little trip to Cotmanhay with my daughter Bill so once we'd been where we had to go I said I would like to go and find my old flat.

I had remembered the street but wasn't quite sure of the number so we walked along until I found it. Just to make sure, I texted Brian to see if he remembered the address and I was right.

Our Landlady lived in the big house at the top of the street and we had to go up there every month to take her the rent.

There was a Chip shop next door to us but I can't for the life of me remember it being there.

I can't even remember how the street looked. In my head it looks totally different than it actually does. This isn't because it is 20 years later as everything is exactly the same, there are no newer buildings and nothing has been knocked down I just can't remember it.

After we had taken some pics of the old place I had to find my way back into town which I totally failed at. We just kept walking until luckily we made it to Bath street. Ridiculously I don't remember what a steep hill Bath Street is - I should have stayed in Ilkeston, no wonder I was so thin when I lived there!

The last photo I took before we got on the bus was of the Ilkeston Scala. I can't believe its still there and they still queue outside for it to open for the evening show...

 

Posted via email from jembie's posterous

Stumble UponStumble it!

No comments: