Support This Site

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

London trip pt.3

So It's about 1.30pm I am walking through London on my way to Southwark to my hotel. I realise I am really hungry and start to feel a bit weak as I haven't eaten since I got up about 6am. I found Pizza Express alongside the National Theatre and decided that it is as good a place as any. Although I had Pizza for tea the night before so I would look at the Pasta or Salad menu.

I was directed to a table at the back by the window.

It was very noisy as there were lots of families with little kids. I was given a menu to peruse.

I was going to order a Salad at first but I opted for Pasta in the end as I wasn't sure when I would be eating again and Pasta would fill me up for longer.

It took 20 minutes for someone to come and take my order although a couple were seated at the table next to me 10 minutes after me and were served almost immediately. It took another 15 minutes for my food to arrive but it was very nice if not a little spicy and well worth the wait.

Once I had finished I paid the bill and left to make my way to the hotel. Little did I know that I had come actross the wrong bridge I was quite a way from where I wanted to be. I should have crossed over on the Millenium bridge which is just 5 minutes walk from Bankside.

I walked down Belvedere road and Upper Ground then I walked through a little park area so that I was back alongside the river and walked past the OXO building. I didn't go and look in the shops as it was quite busy and it was starting to rain so lots of people were going in the building to get shelter.

I finally arrived at Bankside just before 3pm. My B&B Hotel - Bankside House - Is a Student residence in term-time but from June to October it is rented out as a Budget hotel.

I got inside and they were queueing to check in already. I had read many reviews and was prepared for the worst. Unfortunately the comment about the rude staff was true but all I wanted was to get my room and rest my tootsies so I stayed patient and calm. Eventually I was given my room key and told I was on the 1st floor but there were plenty of lifts to get me there.

My room was very basic but comfortable. There was no TV and the kettle didn't work but for £33 for the night I was pretty happy with it.

I settled in and made myself at home. My phone battery had taken a battering from all the pictures I had taken and the tweeting I had done so It needed charging and my feet and legs were aching already so I decided to rest up for a couple of hours in readiness for my evening plans. I put my Ipod on and it seemed only right that I have Alistair Griffin playing as that always used to be the way when staying in a Hotel - mainly because that was always the reason I was there before.

I left the hotel room about 5.30 and then the rain started to pour down. I had my umbrella with me but it wasn't much help so I had to find shelter until it wore off a little.

I was on my way to Whitechapel - Aldgate East tube station for the Jack the Ripper walk. I have been looking forward to it so much and I was really excited. Bret had been on it with school earlier in the year and I was quite jealous. I was astounded too that it was only £8 per person.

I got to the meeting point an hour early but I wanted to make sure I knew where I was going. Right across the road is a Burger King so I went in there and ordered some food and sat by the window so that I could watch people arrive and that way I wouldn't feel so awkward.

At 6.40 I went over to join the group and so glad I did as it meant they were ready to leave 15 minutes early and we got to have the best guide for our tour - being Phillip Hutchinson writer of 2 best selling Ripper books and consultant for recent drama "Whitechapel"

The walk was entertaining, Hilarious at parts, Chilling and very educational. We visited most of the murder sites although a couple are no longer accessible. We were given facts and shown pictures. The 2 hours went by so quickly although at the end of it my feet and legs were very sore. When it came time to go our seperate ways I found that I suddenly didn't want to leave the group. I had spent the last 2 hours walking round in a group on 30 others and didn't want to go off on my own.

When I did finally peel myself away I made that stupid mistake that I always end up doing when I go to London and that is getting on the wrong tube. I got the right line but just the wrong direction. I realised a couple of stops down the line and jumped off and jumped on the right train going the opposite way.

I had planned to go and see the London eye all lit up and take some night-time photos but I was so tired and my feet were stinging that I just walked back to the hotel. I attempted to take some pictures from across the Thames but they weren't successful. I really need more night-time practise.

Posted via email from jembie's posterous

Stumble UponStumble it!

No comments: