Support This Site

Saturday, August 21, 2010

My Solo trip to London

Since starting work last July, I haven't had chance to stop and get a moment to myself. I get up and get myself off to work in the mornings. When I finish I come home cook the dinner eat it watch an hour of TV and before you know it, its bedtime. Most of the time I am in bed before the kids and as soon as my head hits the pillow I am dead to the world then it all starts again. At the weekends It is all shopping and housework and at least one of my children is always there so time to myself with my own thoughts or just to enjoy some music or a movie is totally out of the question.

The last few weeks It has just all come to a head so I just had to get away and get some well-earned Me time. My plan to start with was just to book onto one of those coach excursions on a Sunday. I was hoping to go to Norfolk for the day on a trip to my Mother's birthplace but the bus was all booked up so I found myself booking a trip to London.

I managed to book 2 first class singles at £21 each (even though I only booked them 2 days in advance) which was a lot cheaper than travelling standard which would have been £56 return.

I also managed to book into a budget Hotel on the South Bank of the Thames. It was £33 for the night with Breakfast included.

It was a very early start on Satuday morning. I set off from home at 7.30am to walk to the train station. By 8.30 I was sat in my 1st class seat on the way to the capital.

I reached London at just after 10am. After navigating thru all the corridoors and escalators and getting on my first tube in ages I emerged from the subway at Hyde Park corner. Time for a Photocall. I took a few photos of Wellington arch and Wellington Monument and the gates of Hyde Park.

There was also some very interesting architecture which at a distance looked like several crosses but were iron structures each with some very unique engravings on when you looked up close.

On the way back to the underground even the subway was decorated with these detailed engravings

Next on my itinerary was to be Covent Garden so back on the Escalator

Onto the tube

I don't remember ever going to Covent Garden before. It is much bigger than I thought. There are lots of street Entertainers and at parts you can't get down the street because of the crowds that gather

I love the guys that paint themselves Silver and stand there like statues - some stay more still than others though...

There was also the Jugglers. This guy took so long setting up and stawling while waiting for more punters that I never actually saw his act.

This guy Looked like he needed a bit more practice

I spent about an hour wandering round Covent Garden looking in the shops and browsing the stalls. I did go into Jubilee Hall market but it was so busy I had to come out again which isn't like me as I used to be a fiend for the markets.

Looks like I have exceeded my photo limit in this post so stay tuned for part 2...

Posted via email from jembie's posterous

Stumble UponStumble it!

No comments: