Support This Site

Monday, June 20, 2011

Elvaston Castle 14/06/11

Having lived in Derby for the last 30 years It is shocking that I have never actually visited Elvaston Castle. I have visited the grounds. When I was younger my Dad always liked to go to the Elvaston Castle Steam Rally. I loved this and always looked forward to it but we never actually went and had a look round the house.

So while I have a few days off work I decided to change this. I thought at first that without out my own transport this would be out of the question but Google maps told me that I could get a bus part of the way and then the walk wouldn't be too crippling.

Clipboard01
So I got up Tuesday morning and walked into Derby to get the bus from town.

I got off the bus at Borrowash as the map indicated. It told me that it should take 20 minutes to walk to the Elvaston country park. I popped in my earphones and turned up my ipod to help me on my way.

It actually took me about 40 minutes altogether but I think this was because I kept stopping to take photos along the way.

The grounds are beautiful. To get from the Entrance and car park up to the house itself you have to walk through a wonderful wooded area.

Dscf8697
Once in the actual grounds of the big House itself I felt like I was in one of those period dramas. It is perfectly kept and looks gorgeous. It is so wonderful too that the public have complete run of the area. You are free to wander round and sit down where ever you want to have a picnic or just take in the beautiful scenery.

I took a wander around taking a bunch of pics of the house.

 

Posted via email from jembie's posterous

Stumble UponStumble it!

No comments: