Support This Site

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

But if we could go back in time...

Monday was the day I have been waiting for. The day that is like a bright light in the distance and makes up for all the crap that my life is going through at the moment.

At 8.30 am I got a bus to Nottingham to meet up with 2 dear friends. When I was running this intro through my head last night it sounded not unlike the introduction to Charlies Angels. I thought that would be funny but can't quite recapture the humor now.


20 years ago -in May 1987- Brian, Tim and I first met as naive young teens starting work for the first time at The American Adventure theme park. I would say personally that it was the best time of my life. I met great people and had a fantastic time and for a while earned a boatload of cash. It was damn hard work I won't deny that but it was all worth it.


In June of 88 Brian and I started to share a little flat together and It was one long party. In 89 after being evicted we moved into a big house and Tim and his cousin Dawn joined us to make up the numbers.

There has been lots of water under that bridge but 20 years later here we are in Bri's gorgeous little flat overlooking the whole of Notts. The purpose? To discuss getting together an American Adventure 20 year re-union. To find and hopefully meet again all the great friends we made back then. Sadly in January this year the park itself closed it's doors for the last time which hinders our plans somewhat!

It was a lovely day. We spent most of it laughing and giggling and reminiscing about the things we did. We looked through hundreds of old photos of us in various situations. working on the park, parties, weird nights in and nights out. It made me a bit melancholy at one point seeing all those pictures of people that I sadly lost touch with and wondering what they are up to now. Where are they? Are they married? Are they doing something exciting? Did they fulfil their potential?

Lunch has to be the best lunch out I have had in a long time (Not that I go out lunching much)
Tim suggested we try the Number 1 oriental buffet. Well you know me, I have never been for a chinese and don't have a clue so I thought it was worth the experience. I wasn't disappointed.
All you can eat for £5.50!
There is a huge choice for starters, main courses and then to desserts.
I thought I would just try a little of everything so I started off going along the line. a little bit of sesame toast, pineapple fritter, crabstick fritter, veggie samosa, prawn crackers and a little bit of Mushroom in Oyster sauce.
As the place wasn't too busy, the staff were very attentive and as soon as we were finished they had our plates away. We were undeterred though and went back for seconds. This time I tried some of the main courses... Chow mein noodles, spicy potatoes, spicy chicken, spare ribs and a bit of chicken curry. The curry nearly blew my head off and I wished that I had saved some drink.
After that the boys went for dessert but frankly I don't think I could fit anything else in if I tried - even if it was a bit of Ice cream.

The day passed way too quickly and before I knew it, it was nearly 4pm and time to go get my bus home again. We did get some work done though and now we have an idea of a venue and an action plan for more publicity and hopefully more responses to come.

I can't wait for the next time we meet up again. I have been feeling rather old just recently and my old mates are just what I need to recover my youth.

Stumble UponStumble it!

No comments: