Support This Site

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Digsy's Diner

I am getting on very well with my Meal Planner. We have followed it to the letter so far and it is a lot less hassle for the kids as they can look and know exactly what we will be eating.

Today would be a new experience as the meal on the planner was Lasagne. I have never eaten or indeed made Lasagne in my life before and this recipe was a bit different in that it was the cheaper option. Not only did I bulk out the meat with lots of veggies, lentils and oats but instead of using Pasta I would be using pancakes as they are a lot cheaper to make.

This morning I made the pancakes ahead of time and left them to cool. It was quite an easy process. I have never been good at pancakes and would get a lot of duffers before I got a good one but I got 5 out of 5 today.

I made the meat sauce this afternoon. Same basic recipe as Bolognese so nothing hard there either. I left it on the lowest heat to simmer for a while.

At 5pm I made up the cheese sauce and went to work with the Lasagne...Meat first then pancake then cheese and build up the layers until you reach the top. Then I sprinkled a little bit of that really strong Cheese.

I put it in the oven then for about an hour on low heat.

At 6.15 it was the time of reckoning and guess what?? It was delicious! I made up a little mushroom stir fry to go with it but I really didn't need to at all.


The Pancakes soak up the cheese sauce and they really go well with the other tastes in the dish. The texture is good too. The kids mopped it up in no time at all so that is when I know it is a real success!

Stumble UponStumble it!

No comments: