Support This Site

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Meeting Nigel Clough

I received a message through Twitter last week that there was going to be a signing at the shop DCFC on the 16th. At the same time Ange sent a message through Facebook asking who wanted to go. I definitely wanted to go as now with my new camera I could get so many great pictures and I usually miss these signing sessions because I "Can't be bothered"

I thought that as I was the one with time on my hands, I would go up there early to get a good place in the queue. I assumed they would start queuing early as this was to meet The Manager Mr Nigel Clough as well as club captain Paul Connolly and young loanie Nacer Barazite.

When I got to Pride Park at about 3.30, there was no one about. I didn't really know what to do as I didn't even have any cash to go have a drink in Starbucks so it was just a case of ambling round the shop for 2 hours. I did nip into Starbucks to use the toilets. It was empty in there bar a couple of business types using the wifi connection. I think that if I ever lose my internet at home again I might just go up thre and sit there all day. It will be warm and better than moping at home lol.

It was about 4.30 when the queue started forming. There was a table in the centre of the store with a jug of water and 3 glasses as well as piles of cards for the guests to sign and a big tray of DCFC sweets.

I didn't want to get first in the queue so I ended up 7th which was satisfactory I think.
Ange and the kids arrived about 5ish and then it wasn't too much later that the Gaffer himself arrived. He was very early considering the actual event wasn't meant to start until 6pm.
They decided to get on with it even though the players weren't there yet which I will be ever thankful for as we got a little extra time to spend with Nigel and he wasn't rushing.


As our turn came, my stomach was turning somersaults. My mouth went all dry and I started having flashbacks to all those years ago and HMVs lol. Ange took Joe and Abbie up. Joe was so cool and didn't want to have his photo taken with Nigel but Abbie did as we were all flashing away.

Then it was my turn. I walked up and said hello and, well that was it. My mind went blank and my mouth as dry as sawdust. I passed him the photo to sign for Ange and then I picked up one of the cards and asked him to sign it for Bill. He asked me if that was just B-I-L-L and I said yes. I then said I wouldn't bore him with the full story and he laughed and said "No"
I said Thank you and moved on.

That was it. That was my meeting with Nigel Clough. It was over!

So the PR woman then told us that as we were at the front of the line then we could go queue over the other side to wait for the players to come out and we would get to meet them first before they joined Nigel at the table.
While we waited, the staff brought the free scarves out and were handing them out to everyone so I thought I may as well get one signed.

When the players finally arrived, they were great. They signed shirts and pictures and scarves and had loads of photos taken with kids and adults.
Paul Connolly is a typical scouser and I couldn't understand a word he said. He signed my scarf and the card I had picked up. I was an idiot though as I couldn't say a word, just grinned like an idiot. I am old enough to be their mother!
Nacer Barazite is very tall and I had to remind myself that he is only 18 as he is very cute and has the lovely smile. He did a lot of smiling. I found myself saying thank you a lot I hope I didn't look AND sound like an idiot!

Eventually they got throught the people waiting and made it to the table to sit alongside the Gaffer.

We stayed a bit longer to take some more pics of them then Ange said it was time to leave as the kids were getitng bored now.

As we came out we looked back at the queue and it stretched outside right along the side of the stadium. This was only 6pm when the signing should have started so no idea what time it would have gone on until...

Stumble UponStumble it!

No comments: