Support This Site

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Result! Barclays comes up Trumps

On the 21st January, I went into town as I always do on a Thursday to do a little top up shopping and pay some bills.
My own bank don't have a branch in Derby - Stupid I know and a little short-sighted of me to choose a bank without an actual branch (Yeah I wear glasses for it!) because I really could do with speaking to an actual person sometimes.
Anyway so I often go to the Barclays ATM as that is on my way into town.

I went to draw £50 and requested a receipt. Good job I did as the machine only gave me £30.
I was a bit stunned and didn't know what to do. It was chucking it down with rain at the time and I just ran into the bank. I still had the money and receipt in my hand and hadn't even closed my purse or anything.

I was a bit flustered and tried hard to explain what had happened to the woman without raising my voice or indeed breaking into tears.
She was useless and looked at me like a piece of dirt. She went to ask her supervisor what to do who also looked at me like something she brought in on her shoe. She told her to take my details and then told me that they couldn't check the machine until the next day and someone would call me.
I panicked about what I was going to do but did manage to borrow the £20 from my sister.

Of course as you can guess, the bank didn't call me the next day and so over the next 2 weeks I followed a frustrating path trying to contact someone in the bank to find out what happens next. I had put in a ATM dispute with my own bank but didn't have a clue what that meant. Would I get my money - The £20 that was legally mine??

On Friday Feb 6th I had really had enough and my sister was starting to ask when I could pay her back so after still not being able to speak to someone and getting no joy from my own bank I send an email to the CEO of BARCLAY's bank. 2 hours later I got a reply apologising for the incident and lack of communication. I was informed that my details and phone number had been forwarded to the manager of the Barclay's branch. By 5pm that day I had a call from the branch manager telling me the paper work had just come through and yes in fact there was a fault on the machine that day and a discrepancy in funds means that yes they will be refunding my £20. She would phone me first thing Monday morning to arrange repayment.

When she rung again Monday morning (about 10am not quite first thing) she said the funds had already gone back into my account and if I give her my address details, they would like to sent me a gift as a gesture of goodwill for my distress and inconvenience.

I made her aware that I was very satisfied at the way she had handled the matter but that the way i was treated by the staff is not on. I was looked down on and made to feel guilty even though I was the one out of pocket. She agreed that more staff training was needed although that might have just been to humour me.

On checking my online banking yes the £20 had been refunded and then this morning the doorbell went and it was a delivery of a huge box. When the manager said a gesture of goodwill I was expecting maybe a £10 M&S voucher but wasn't prepared for this...

A box of Yorkshire Gold tea, A bag of fudge, A box of Fudge Florentine biscuits, Several small pits of various preserves, A box of Belgian chocolates, a jar of butter gingers, a tin of chocolate chip cookies, a tin or after dinner coffee and a Yorkshire Brack cake.

Thank you Barclays. I really appreciate it. I was very distressed and upset but you have smoothed over the cracks.

Stumble UponStumble it!

No comments: