Support This Site

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sweet 39? Happy Birthday to me


Another year, another birthday.

I always look forward to my birthday even at this old age because it is my special time, the one day where I can be spoiled and no one minds if I sit around all day eating chocolate.

It all started at about 10.30 Saturday morning when I was woken by breakfast in bed from Bill and Bret. They made me Pancakes with Lemon and Sugar with a cup of coffee. I felt very pampered. The pancakes were perfect even though Bill said they had been a pain to make.

Saturday night was party time so I spent all day Saturday cleaning and tidying then straight in the shower where I was when Brian and Tim arrived around 5ish. It wasn't long after that Debz arrived and then as I was applying my make up my old school friend Jackie arrived with her hubby and son.

Once I was ready and we had all had a little drink (I say little - Brian and Tim had a big bottle of Pina Colada each and had plied me with it) it was time to set off for the restaurant. Of course my eatery of choice was May Sum in town.

When we got there Dot and Kris were already there waiting and so we went inside to announce ourselves to the staff who showed us to our seats. Pretty soon all 20 guests were there and it was time to tuck in. There were quite a few there who had never been to May Sum before so it was great for me to be the one introducing the place to them. Bret's friend Jonny had come with his Mum and Dad who had never been but Jonny's dad (Alan) cooks his own Chinese meals at home from scratch so we made a joke about whether it would compare to his.

I have a confession, for a lot of the evening I felt uncomfortable. I kind of wish I hadn't sat at the head of the table as I was away from most of the action. Don't get me wrong, It was great to look down the table and see everyone getting on and having a laugh but I felt out of the fun a bit.

I was very good this time with the food. I was quite restrained in fact. I started with the usual Chicken balls, Pineapple fritter, sesame toasts, and other 'finger foods' with some salad. Then went back for some Sushi and crispy Seaweed and a few more bits.

I desperately wanted to try the Teppanyaki though this time. You pick from the raw ingredients and take them up to the cook and they cook it for you there in front of you. It was amazing to watch. I chose some Prawns, Beef and Pork and some crispy Noodles, Beansprouts and Mushrooms. He chucks it all on the griddle and turns it over occasionally then adds oil and seasoning and your choice of Garlic or Chili. I chose Garlic on mine. The most fascinating thing for me was watching the Prawns change colour from horrible grey to a lovely Pink.

I was torn whether to have another main course or to go to Dessert but I saw that all the children at the end of the table were eating Ice cream already so I thought I had better not hold everyone up and went for the Ice cream myself. Looking back I am thinking that as it was my birthday I should have just eaten as much as I wanted and made them wait for me...

When everyone was finished and we were all ready to go we went to pay but there was a right furore over when a child is not a child...I just wanted to get out of there as I am no good at this kind of thing so I will gloss over it if you don't mind...

Jackie and her family decided not to come back to mine. It would have been a trek for them as they would only have to walk back into town to get the bus anyway so I didn't mind It was good to have them there and I felt honoured that they came at all :)

There was a big trek back to mine. I didn't take the lead on the journey home and wondered where the heck some people were going. Lisa and I fell behind and then caught up by going the slightly quicker route instead of all round the houses. I didn't realise though that Tim and Brian had been waiting for us. I am sorry guys ;)

When everyone was safely back at my house, the partying really started.

For a while it was a 3 room party. The kids in the bedroom, Those Singstar fans in the front room singing and a small group of us in the kitchen. The conversation in the kitchen was very interesting to say the least. It was mainly me and Lisa and Marie and Alan. I have known Marie and Alan for years but not really socially - Just as the parents of Bret's mate.

I was very happy. I was swigging my Vodka and Cherry coke and mostly listening to the conversation rather than joining it or leading it. After a while though I noticed that it seemed to be the same song on Singstar over and over again. So I went and asked the boys in the bedroom to come and play Guitar hero.

I knew Tim was itching to have a go on those Drums...

We carried on with our kitchen party and because Brian didn't want to try out on the drums or guitars he joined us through the hatch looking like he was stood at the bar...

Marie joined the band to sing Hotel California before the kids got fed up of guitar Hero and Brian begged me to put Singstar back on.

I think it was around midnight when Debz and Carl and Marie and Alan left. Carl had to be up for work Sunday so they couldn't stay late. Bret went along with Jonny which solved a problem for me of where Tim and Brian were going to sleep. Usually when Bri comes he stays in my bed and I sleep on the sofa and even though I was happy for Tim to stay over too I hadn't really though it out where to put him but Bret going off to his second home meant that I could just put them in his room.

We carried on playing Singstar for about an hour after. Lisa was quite drunk and she wanted to sing Tom Jones but she lasted about the first couple of lines and then gave up so Andrew took over but I think he was a bit embarrassed.



The evening ended on a bit of a worrying note as when Lisa was leaving with her boys to get their cab she fell down the last few steps and banged her head a couple of times. I was panic stricken, I didn't know what to do and wanted the boys to take her to A&E but they got her in the cab and said they would get their Dad up when they got home just to make sure she is OK and help get her inside.

I think it was about 2.30am when we all finally turned in after what I think was a lovely successful evening.

Sunday March 15th 2009

I got up about 8.30ish. I just couldn't sleep for some reason, I don't know if it was all the Vodka I drunk or that I was worried about Lisa but I was tossing and turning all night so when It was light I gave up.

It really did look like the morning after the night before around here

I realised I hadn't any Bread so made myself a coffee and had Cadbury's mini rolls for Breakfast.

I had been up about half an hour when Brian and Tim emerged. Of course I hadn't got Milk either so had to send Bri to the shop so I could make them a coffee. I used some of the ground coffee from my hamper as even though I don't like it much, I know they do.

Then I finally got to open my pressies.

From Brian the DVD of Sweeney Todd and a gorgeous Vanilla candle. From Tim a little cloth bag of Chakra crystals which I am going to research and use them to their best.

When Bill got up and Bret arrived home from Jonny's They brought me their pressie...Something I have always wanted but would never buy for myself...

This beautiful little water fountain that works on batteries. It is called a tranquility fountain and I have to say does feel quite soothing when it is on.

Here is my full bounty of pressies that I opened on the morning...

Tim had to get back quite early as he had stuff to do so they left mine about 10.30am.
I pretty much just lay back on the sofa eating chocs and drinking Wine.
The kids had given me a box of chocs with my breakfast Saturday morning so I sat chomping them. They were very nice chocs too, I didn't find one that I didn't like and they were quite intricately decorated.




My sisters came round to visit around 2.30ish - More pressies!!!! From Ange and the kids I got the Saw Goreology which is the box set of Saw 1-5. I didn't even realise 5 was out on DVD so I am going to enjoy a good gorefest at some point when I sit down to watch them all.

It was lovely having my sisters and Niece and nephew round although the kids all went with Bret to the bedroom where they played Yu-gi-oh cards and Wii. Me and my sisters just chilled watching crap TV and eating donuts that Ange had brought. What else could be better on your birthday?!

Ange and Debz stayed until about 5pm and when they had gone I sent Bill and Bret off to Subway to get some tea. Unfotunately Subway was closed so they ended up going to McDonalds and got Burgers and stopped off at the chippy to get some chips to go with them.

So my birthday ended with eating chocs, drinking wine and watching Coleen Nolan finally booted out of Dancing on Ice. Unfortunately no Lost this week which would have finished off the day nicely.

And so ends another birthday.....

Stumble UponStumble it!

No comments: